CBC and Radio Canada International Shortwave Service - History
Excerpts from: Canada Handbook 1952; Ministry of Trade and Commerce; Canada.
Shortages of materials have delayed completion of CBC television centres being built at Montreal and Toronto, and the first television broadcasts will not be on the air until sometime in 1952. Channels 2 and 5 have been assigned to the CBC at Montreal, where the Corporation ultimately will operate two stations (English and French), and Channel 9 at Toronto where one station will be operated. The Montreal television studios are housed in an addition to the Radio Canada Building and the transmitter is being erected on top of Mount Royal in the heart of the city. The transmitter for Toronto will be incorporated with the studio building at the Toronto location, with a 500 foot tower adjacent to it. A contract has been let for the provision of microwave relay links between Buffalo USA and Toronto, and Toronto and Montreal.
The International Service is operated by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation on behalf of the Government of Canada. Its finances are provided wholly by a parliamentary appropriation; it uses none of the revenue of the CBC designated for its service to Canadian listeners. The policies of the International Service are formulated through consultation with the Department of External Affairs and with an Advisory Committee on which are represented the Department of External Affairs, the Department of Trade and Commerce, the Privy Council, the National Film Board and the CBC.
Since its inception in February 1945, the CBC International Service has so expanded that it programs are now heard abroad in fourteen languages. The latest language to be added, in February 1951, was Russian; the Voice of Canada Russian language programs are timed to coincide with those of the British Broadcasting Corporation and the Voice of America.
A monthly program schedule designed to provide factual information about Canada is distributed free to listeners upon request. Two editions are currently published - one for Europe and one for Latin America and the Caribbean. Their combined circulation has passed the 100,000 mark.