CBC and Radio Canada International Shortwave Service - History
Excerpts from: Canada Handbook 1954; Ministry of Trade and Commerce; Canada.
“In its first year on the air, CBC television has developed a program schedule covering the wide range of entertainment achieved in its sound broadcasting. These programs have included weekly drama series, leading sports events such as NHL hockey and the Grey Cup football final, special children’s series, news variety, discussions, and many other types. Most Canadian productions have been “live” from studios at Toronto or Montreal, and some programs have been fed directly from United States networks via the microwave relay.
“A wide selection of film features has also been offered. In its first year of service, CBC television realized several notable “firsts” including the first TV production of a George Bernard Shaw play (Candida) permitted in North America and the first presentation in North America of films of the Coronation.
[The films came over on an Air Force plane so Canadians would see the Coronation of Elizabeth II before the American TV networks broadcast their own Coronation productions - cross-border TV via “rabbit ears” was popular.]
Radio Canada International
“Altogether the shortwave broadcasts of the International Service are listened to in some 30 countries. The programs are broadcast in 16 languages: English French, German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Russian and Ukrainian. Countries that have poor reception because of geographical reasons, like Austria and Greece, receive transcribed programs. The staffs of the various language sections prepare the programs, which are then edited, produced in the studios and sent out over the air. The English language section has the additional responsibility of providing the Canadian Forces abroad with daily broadcasts.”
Quand j'étais au Manitoba
En '40 comme soldat
Forcément, on s'entraînait
Seulement rien qu'en anglais
Mais le soir à la cantine
Devant une petite bière
Si on parlait français, câline
Ça faisait toute une affaire
’ …was placed in operation early in 1954 - the first trial run was made in September 1953. Operation of eight-car trains, which can be accommodated at the 500 foot platforms provided at all subway stations, will carry 40,000 passengers per hour in each direction. The rapid-transit cars, built in the United Kingdom, are designed to carry passengers to their destinations with a maximum of speed, safety and comfort.’
48 Years’ Service - From the Canadian National (Railways) Magazine of April 1954.
This description of this railway retirement is quite typical, with other family members of a small division point town also working in the “running trades” of the railway. The Canadian railways mentioned: Grand Trunk and Canadian Northern were taken over by the Canadian government after World War I as part of the new Canadian National Railways. The gentleman saw a lot of “history” during his service.
(jpeg is from a 2 inch x 3 inch photograph)
Locomotive Engineer J.H. Worsfold was greeted by a crowd of officials, fellow workers and friends, when he completed his last run into Kamloops Junction recently, with 48 years’ service to his credit.
The last run was something of a family affair for Mr Worsfold. His fireman on the Kelowna way freight was his son Don.
At home the evening of his retirement he was again honored at a party and family reunion. The Kamloops Sentinel reports that more than 100 friends called to extend their best wishes. It was also the first time the whole family had been home since 1941.
Among the highlights of Mr Worsfold’s career was the day, in 1915, when he fired the official train from Edmonton to Kamloops Junction which brought officials of the Canadian Northern Railway to inspect the new line to Vancouver before taking it over from the builders.
Born in London, England, he came to Canada in 1906 and started working for the Grand Trunk. In 1911 he headed west and worked as a fireman on construction gangs. He transferred to the operating department in 1915 and moved to Kamloops in 1927.
From the Canadian National (Railways) Magazine of April 1954.
The Wickham track inspection car. Only a handful were purchased. It sometimes seems that unusual equipment is preserved disproportionately … while typical, everyday assets which gave long and faithful service in Canada’s past are scrapped so that no examples survive. … not that I have an opinion, of course.